Thursday, April 30, 2015

Week Seven Harry Potter

Week Seven The Novel of Spiritual Education
I started re-listening to Harry Potter the Deathly Hallows on audio book. I had read all the Harry Potter books when I was younger; I think it was a really good way to get into reading as a young adult. I remember getting really engrossed in the stories and I would just keep reading, it was hard to put the book down.
Going back to The Deathly Hallows now, I am really interested in how the story was crafted and what Rowling built the plot around. With this book, and I think throughout the Harry Potter books, it essentially all comes down to the conflict between good and evil. Voldemort is the ultimate contrast to Harry.
Voldemort is bigoted, narcissistic, and has never know love, where as Harry is the exact opposite. He is well liked by almost everyone; while not talented he is a great friend. Loyal, caring, and patient; the contrast in these characters is very clear.

Rowling takes it upon herself to deliver these underlying moral values in the work. While it is simplistic and maybe a little preachy in its simplicity, I think this is a great place for young adult readers to start developing a love for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment